In this article I’ve mentioned some of the WordPress cookie notice plugins here that can help you make your website compliant with the EU Cookie Directive.
So What Exactly Is a Cookie ?
A cookie is a small piece of data which your browser is asked by a website to store on your computer or mobile device. It keeps track of your movements inside the web so that at a later time it can remember everything about you.
And What Exactly is the Eu Cookie law and why should a Blog/Website Owner Follow it ?
What is it: The EU ePrivacy Directive (AKA the Cookie Law) will come into force shortly afterwards in the UK on 26 May 2012 and elsewhere in Europe for cookie consent to be required. If you own a website, you will have to seek users’ permission before you install cookies. It was designed to protect online privacy by making users aware of how their information is collected and used online. Apparently it’s not a new rule- they just changed the old law.
Why Should you follow it: There is a fine that disobeys the ePrivacy directive of the European Union but you are free as long as you make an effort to comply.
Now Lets See the Top, Best and Free WordPress Plugins which Help you Easily Comply With The Eu Cookie Regulation Policy.
The WordPress group has some of the best plugins to agree to cookies which will allow you to obey the directive. The following are some of WordPress’ best free cookies notice plugins which are bound to make life easier for website owners.
It is the best and most common dFactory cookie note plugin on WordPress. It helps you to give users consent to elegantly view cookies to comply with EU regulations.
The plugin comes with some unique features including customization, the option to allow on-scroll cookies, the option to reject usable cookies, the locations of the cookie message box, WPML and Polylang compatible, 16 languages ready for translation, cookie expiry package.
List of Features:
- Customize the cookie message
- Redirect users to specified page for more cookie information
- Link to more info page
- Set cookie expiry
- Option to accept cookies on scroll
- Animate the message box after cookie is accepted
- Option to set on scroll offset
- Option to refuse functional cookies
- Select the position of the cookie message box
- Select button style from none WordPress and Bootstrap
- WPML and Polylang compatible
- Set the text and bar background colors
- .pot file for translations included
When clicking ‘accept’ on the tab, you can change the colors, fonts, patterns, location and how it behaves. It has a module for Cookie Audit to show your website users what cookie your website uses in a privacy page table. There is another display tab that dismisses the note or displays it again. The plugin uses implied consent because the purpose of this method is to reduce the dropout of visitors to the website.
- Fully customizable to match your own website’s style: customize the colors, styles and fonts
- Option to put cookie bar in header or footer
- (Optional) automatically close the cookie bar after a delay (delay is configurable)
- (Optional) cookie bar can be permanently dismissed or accessible through a “show again” tab
- (Optional) “show again” tab is fully customizable including position shown on page and styles
- qTranslate support
- WPML compatible
EU law on cookies has the right to lock the script before acceptance (as allowed by Italian law – Garantía della Privacy). The enforcement with the European cookie law with an elegant popup is a effective solution for your website. It will block the embeds, iframes, scripts and artifacts automatically.
You can customize it to suit the website layout and have plenty of choices for behavior management before and after your user get used to it.
- Automatic block of iframes, embeds, scripts and objects
- Block scripts if cookies are not accepted
- Manual and Automatic set width and height of blocked content
- Complete set of developer Shortcodes and PHP Functions
- Customizable banner (color, position, strings)
- Consent by Clicking, Scrolling and Navigation
- Set cookie expiry
- Fully responsive for tablets and smartphones
- Certified for WPML
- Compatible with mobile themes and plugins
- Compatible with multi-language plugins
- Compatible with Disqus and Jetpack InfiniteScroll
- Shortcode to revoke cookie consent
- Shortcode to show a list of cookies
- Two dismissal methods – either on click by the user or timed
- Two types of dismissal elements – either button or ‘x’ close
- Update styles from within the customizer
- Three-position – either top or bottom bar, or floating in one of the corners of the screen
- Better translation support
- Better responsive support
- Option to show the notification on the first page only – subsequent pages visited by the user will not display the message
- Inherits your theme styles where possible
- Set the cookie duration
- Set the cookie version – updating a version will reset the cookie on all user sites
- The option to use an absolute or external URL to link to for further information
Italy Cookie Choices allows you to block cookies from third parties. It complies with Italy cookie law as well as with European cookie law that only shows tourists the first time they visit your website.
- Display banner in front-end
- Three templates (standard, big buttons, small buttons)
- Content banner customizable with HTML tags
- Three positions (top, dialog, bottom) Or custom style
- URL and buttons text customizable
- Acceptance on mouse scroll
- Add custom script to block (wp_header and wp_footer)
- Block third party script in page
- Acceptance on the second view
- Add custom script to not block (all page)
- Multilanguage (WPML, Polylang, Ceceppa)
Well, when you’re looking for WordPress Cookie Note plugins you’ll never run out of options as there are multiple plugins to choose from that WordPress cookie agree. They all add something a little special to the table, they are all the best of all the above plugins.
So Whats Your Favorite Plugin out of the above, Or any new one which I have Missed here. You can let me know in the comments.